Queensmead School was opened to pupils on 8th September 1953. At the time it was viewed as a “school of the future” with its modern architecture and its advanced ideas of sound proofing. All these fixtures were considered necessary because of the noise from the nearby Northolt airport.
An old steel and concrete canopy formed part of the original building. During March 2016 RM was awarded the first phase of works to erect part of the new 165m canopy, some 38 metres in length, to replace the old version. Works continue on site to demolish the old canopy with the second phase of works due to start very soon.